Friday, March 23, 2012

A Garden of Weedin'

Spring is here!  
Well, it's been here for a bit now.  Even though the calendar told us so just a few days ago, spring has sprung hard 'round here.  The temps have been crazy high . . . near record highs.  
No complaints, though.  
I've been ready.


Well, I do have one complaint.  
 THE WEEDS!!!  
I don't know if it's because of the super-mild winter we had,  my not getting to the beds last fall due to my back injury, or what, but the weeds have all but taken over most of my garden beds.

The herb garden's been hit hard.


Look at that mess.  It almost makes me want to cry.


I think I'm going to have to admit defeat.  
I'm giving in.  
Throwing in the towel, or spade maybe I should say.

I can't do it anymore.  Dealing with the weeds in that garden has been a huge pain.  I've been having trouble the past couple years keeping the weeds down.  I'm not fighting any more.   My herb garden will be no more very soon.  And ya know, I'm not that upset by it.  I think I'm really ready for a little less work out there.

I've already dug up the lavender plants and replanted them in a little border bed next to the shed.  I know they look kinda dead, but they're alive and well.  They just haven't regained their pretty green yet.


There's a few more plants I'm going to save from that garden, then it's getting doused with weed killer, tilled up, and sewn with grass seed.

The weeds have been bad, but I do have some favorite plants coming up nicely here and there.  After spending most of last weekend cleaning the beds, cutting down dead growth, weeding, dividing, etc., there's still quite a bit more to do.  I'll get to it . . . eventually ;o)

Lamb's Ear
Astilbe
Hosta - Stiletto variety
So much work.

Before going, I had to share the cutest little garden flag I just bought.


Isn't it adorable!



Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

4 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

It's funny for me to see the color of your dirt. Northern dirt is brown and down here it is more orange. It's silly but it really looks strange to me. I am getting ready to abandon my garden or at least make it a lot smaller. I just can't deal with the Bermuda grass any more! I have a few other spots closer to my deck that the evil grass stays away from. Like the idea of putting Lavender in there. Love that way that smells. Have a good weekend!

Hopemore Studio said...

Oh I feel your pain!! The weeds are are almost as bad as the bugs this year. If we had a sudden freeze for a week in April I honestly don't think I complain too much. If it makes you feel any better...our entire backyard looks like your herb garden ;-)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

My daughter would love that garden flag, Carla! She loves owls. I hear ya ~ I've thrown in the towel before myself just not having the time to maintain beds put in when I was a SAHM and had more time. I slowly moved over to container gardening starting several years ago and would basically do two good weedings in all my beds every year. I had so many that once I finished the last one, I basically had to start at the first one again!

Donna Heber said...

Hi Carla,

Have you ever tried Preen as a weed control? I put it down every spring after I mulch and it really does help and will last for several months if you sprinkle it close together. Just a suggestion. Your Johnny-Jump-Ups looks awesome as well as your Lambs Ear. Mine is just peeking through the soil.

Related Posts with Thumbnails