Sunday, January 8, 2012

That's all she wrote . . .

All done.

Kaput.

Christmas is officially over here at our house.


I'm sure some of you are saying "well, it's about time!".

I don't like to totally de-Christmasfy until after the Epiphany, also known as Three Kings Day or Twelfth Night.  I subscribe to the old-fashion belief that the 12 days of Christmas start Christmas Day, and last until January 6th, signifying when the wise men finally ended their long journey to Bethlehem.


I really wish that the time in between Christmas Day and the Epiphany is when the masses actually celebrated Christmas.  I feel the month of December is great for preparing for the upcoming season, but that the true celebration should happen during the real twelve days of Christmas.  I think it's sad when I see and hear that people tear into and pack up Christmas the day after.  To me, that's when quiet refection about the meaning of the season should occur.



Soooo . . . anyway . . . that's how I've been spending most of my weekend.  Packing up.  Deep cleaning.  Sorting.  And finally reorganizing all the bins and boxes containing Christmas.


And in the process I created a few more wintry vignettes here and there while getting used to my new camera Santa brought me.  A Nikon Coolpix.  It's a nice, streamline little camera that has way better features than my old camera, not to mention way more megapixels.  But, like anything new, it's taking me a while to get used to it.


Over the next few days, I'll start incorporating V'day love around the house too.  The Christmas tree in the living room is going to be transformed into a big bushy love tree.  And I'll have a bit more mushy love stuff to place around the house.


Remember this?  I shared it a few posts back.


Easy change.  


Popped out the cardboard with NOEL and replaced it with a little love.  I'm already planning on popping it out again in the spring and put something Eastery in there, and so on . . .




It's nice to get the house back in order and everything back in it's regular place.  It is a little sad taking the trees down and packing it all away, but I'll admit it's time to move on to the next season/holiday.



I have a big celebration to work on in the next couple weeks.  We're having a grad party for Son No. 1.  I figure this will probably be his last young adult milestone celebration until, well, I guess he gets married.  And who knows when {or if!} that'll happen!




Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

4 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

I am with you Carla, it is sad that the celebrations do not continue on. I think the problem may be that it all starts too early. When folks are bombarded with Christmas the day after Halloween I think they are ready for it be over. How special it would be if hearts could change and see it as a 12 day celebration.

My house looks b-a-r-e now that the Christmas decorations are all put away. Been thinking about the mantle, I think a lovely sparkly snowflake theme is just what it needs, thanks for some inspiration.

Girlie Blogger said...

You are so organized.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Before I forget, loving your blog header, Carla! I did all my stuff yesterday, too. My living room was looking much like yours! I also wait until after the 6th to put all my stuff away, although, I was feeling the urge a few days prior. Your decor is looking perfect for this time of year. I need to figure out how I want to decorate my new wood tote. It worked out great for Christmas!

Jillayne said...

I'm with you - I just did the deed today and was sad to put it all behind. I am so busy ahead of Christmas that when I really get to enjoy it is after the 25.
I love your NOEL/AMOUR idea and might just steal it if you don't mind? It's so brilliant!

Related Posts with Thumbnails