Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Kale Tale

Lately, it seems for me anyway, I've been seeing lots of recipes using Kale.  Oh, I know Kale's been around forever, but I guess I just never paid it much attention.  Or, is it possible it's just been getting a lot of face time lately? 


I decided to give it a go.  I bought a ginormous bag at the market for five bucks.  The first time I used it, I did a quick saute with some olive oil, garlic and red pepper flake.  Once it wilted down, I added some chicken stock and a can of cannelloni beans, and some S&P.  I also boiled up some Farfalle.
 {I know, I know . . . bow tie noodles . . . but saying "Farfalle" in your best Giada voice sounds much fancier, dont'cha think?}  
I tossed the bow ties in near the end of the sautéing, and added a bit of fresh-grated parm.

Didn't take any photos, but you get the idea :o)

I'll have to say, IMO, it was okay.  They definitely have a slightly bitter taste and chewier texture then say spinach ~ which I love.   Not sure what the nutritional differences are between kale and spinach, but I will have to say I prefer spinach better over the two greens.

Now, a few days ago, I decided to tackle kale chips.  Easy peasy.  Fill up a baking sheet with the kale, drizzle olive, sprinkle with some kosher salt and fresh-ground pepper and bake for about 10-15 minutes.


Now this I liked!  The kale leaves were super crispy and crunchy, yet they almost melted in your mouth.    I bet these would be on top of a pasta dish or soup.  I would definitely do the kale chips again.  They'd be fun at a cocktail party too, I bet.



So there.  
Now I can cross off "trying kale" on my list of things to experience.  
Ya never know 'bout something till ya try it, right?!





Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

2 comments:

Kerin said...

Sounds like you found some good ways to use kale. My sis. in law makes a health smoothy every morning and puts kale in it. She loves it and she is in terrific shape, so it must work :)

Lisa said...

Carla, I love Kale chips and also make the knock off version of Zuppa Toscana with Kale. I was a little shocked at the carb count. It has lots of vitamins and minerals but the carbs threw me for a loop. Kale chips are good when you want something cruncy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails