Sunday, March 7, 2010

RUM-GLAZED BANANA CAKE



Bananas were getting waayyy over-ripe here in the kitchen. Y'all know what that means! But instead of banana bread, I decided to shake things up a bit and make Banana Cake. Son No. 1 is home from college
- hobbling on crutches, xray on his ankle tomorrow -
and Banana Cake is one of his faves.



In my efforts to cook "light", I referred to one of my Cooking Light cookbooks for a recipe. Score! It was a HUGE hit! They ate more than half already.
It's definitely a keeper.

Had to share these measuring cups. They are fantastic! See the measurements?

They measure 1-1/2 cups, 3/4 cup and 2/3 cup. I use them quite frequently. Definitely worth picking up a set if you see them when you're out-and-about.


Another must-have . . . silicone baking "pan". Bakes cakes perfectly every time.

RUM-GLAZED BANANA CAKE

1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup stick margarine (I used butter)
3/4 cup egg substitute (I used 3 large eggs)
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
vegetable cooking spray
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tbsp dark rum or 1/4 tsp imitation rum extract plus 2 tbsp skim milk
1 tbsp stick margarine, melted (I used butter)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat brown sugar and 2/3 cup margarine at medium speed of mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg substitute, beating until well-blended.

2. Combine banana and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda Wit mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

3. Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove cake from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Combine powdered sugar, rum and melted margarine; stir mixture until smooth. Drizzle over cake.



Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

9 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Mmmmm, now that looks like a flavorful cake and pretty to look at too. Even better!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks soooo good, Carla! I can only imagine how good it was!

Darlene said...

YUM Carla, that looks and sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have already copied it to try at some point.♥

Kerin said...

Carla... shut the door! That is a yummy looking cake! I think I will give it a try today. I need to get to the store anyway, so I can pick up some ingredients while I am there.
I'm glad that I am not the only one itching to get working the soil! We too have to wait until May to plant anything. I can seed plant a few things in the early part of April, but absolutely cannot plant any new plants until after Mothers day!
We are considering a oak leaf hydrangea this year.."snow queen'. It will be the first time that I've planted a hydrangea. Here's crossing my fingers that it will work!
Have a great day! I'll let you know how my version of the banana cake turns out.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

copy,paste, print, bake!!! yum Carla! Thanks for sharing:)

Hopemore Studio said...

Oh my... I would be eating this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wow that looks good. You rock Carla!

Angie

Jerri said...

I am definitely going to make this cake this week. Thanks for the recipe....

Jerri

Lisa said...

Carla it looks great. I think I will try it this week as I always have uneated bananas around.

When are we going to get together and scrap?

Sweet Tea said...

Wish I had a piece of that right now, Carla. YUM! I love "banana" anything!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails