Sunday, December 6, 2009

I'm back and with snow!!!


Or, more accurately, my old computer is back with a newly transplanted hard drive. Oh . . . I missed her so. It's not like we were totally computerless, but not having my girl right here in my craft room where I practically live these days, was hard. Anyway, she's working fine, for the exception of having to totally start over - finding old bookmarks, reloading things like Adobe Reader, Windows Media Viewer, etc. Mourning the loss of some good pictures and inspiration has been hard. A lesson learned - backup, backup, backup . . . at least more often than I did.

We had our very first snow yesterday. It was beautiful coming down. Big, white, puffy flakes flocked all the trees. It truly looked like a winter wonderland.


Well, I'm going to be posting holiday decor snaps I took around the house for Tracey's Holiday Home Tour. A little late, I know, I just hope not too late. But first I wanted to share a cake recipe. I made this cake on Thanksgiving, and it was a HUGE hit. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the one I made not that it would matter, because all the pics from T'giving were on my old hard drive :o( so I'm posting the pic from the book, Sky High - Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes


This cake is so moist and dense and yummy. And if you're a lover of peanut butter and chocolate combined, this will be your new fave treat! And, it was very easy to assemble. The directions claim you don't even need an electric mixer. I used mine. I use my Kitchen Aid to mix almost everything! I hope you try it . . . here goes . . .

Sour Cream-Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Glaze (now that's a mouthful, right!)

2 cups all-purp flour
2-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (pref. Dutch process)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup neutral vege oil (canola, soybean or vege blend)
1 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups water
2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
Peanut Butter Frosting - recipe below
Chocolate- Peanut Butter Glaze - recipe below

1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter bottoms and sides of 3 - 8" round pans. Line bottoms with rounds of buttered parchment or wax paper.

2. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the oil and sour cream and whisk to blend. Gradually beat in the water. Blend in the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed. Divide among the 3 prepared pans.

3. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for about 20 minutes.

4. To frost the cake, place layer flat side up and spread 2/3 cup of the peanut butter frosting evenly over the top. Repeat with next layer. Place the last layer on top and frost the top and sides with remaining frosting. (at this point, I refrigerated the cake a while before putting on the glaze)

5. Pour glaze over the top of the cake and use an offset spatula to evenly spread glaze over the top just to edges so that it runs down the sides of the cake in long drips. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes to allow the glaze and frosting to set completely

Peanut Butter Frosting

10 oz cream cheese - room temp
1 stick unsalted butter - room temp
5 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (do not use fresh or natural p. butter)

1. In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese till light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Continue to beat on med speed until light and fluffy.

2. Add the peanut butter and beat until thoroughly blended.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Glaze

8 oz semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped (I used morsels)
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter (do not use fresh or natural p. butter)
3 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 cup half-and-half

1. In top of double boiler or bowl set over simmering water, combine the chocolate, peanut butter and corn syrup. Cook, whisking often until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

2. Remove from heat and whisk in the half-and-half beating until smooth. Apply to cake while warm.

I really urge you all to try this cake. It's absolutely delectable.

Oh, and check back later today or tomorrow to view all the Holiday scenes I'll be posting from around my house.

1 comment:

Hopemore Studio said...

So glad your back Carla, sorry to hear about all you lost on your computer. I do try to keep backups on an external hard drive but truthfully I'm not that consistant about doing it. Your experience is a good reminder.

The cake recipe looks yummy, thanks for sharing it.

The snow is pretty, we had rain in KY it just didn't get cold enough to snow, but if you don't mind I'd rather look at you pretty pictures of snow than actually have it fall here:)
Angie

Related Posts with Thumbnails