Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mmmm, Scrapple



What is Scrapple, you ask? Well then, my friend, you must not be from these here neck of the woods. If you read Wikipedea's definition of Scrapple being a

"mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour and spices. It is similar to Pon haus, which uses only the broth from cooked meat. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste."

You're probably thinking "eeewwww!!!" Aaahhh, but if you live here in Delaware, and it's surrounding states, you're thinking yummy delicacy. Scrapple is a bit of an enigma. When visitors to our land inquire about this tasty treat, and what's in it . . . how it's made . . . the general response is "you don't wanna know, but try some it's good!"



Here in Delaware, we even have our own yearly celebration, "The Apple Scrapple Festival",


honoring this delectable loaf of beef and/or pork by-products (not to be confused with the "Punkin Chunkin" - not kidding!).

When I was in college, I almost always started my day in the cafeteria ordering a sandwich made from Scrapple and melted cheese. That poor quality protein and fat content would help give me the boost I needed to get through a day of energy-draining classes.

My relatives from southern West Virginia would load their cooler with Scrapple to take home and enjoy because there's no Scrapple way down in West Virginia (imagine that!). Now they wouldn't have to. You can purchase Scrapple through Amazon and have it shipped anywhere in the U. S. of A.!


So, if you ever have the opportunity to sample a morsel of this mush meat product, you just have to try it! I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised . . . just don't think about what's in it while your enjoying it!


Edited to add that I actually learned something new about Scrapple this morning - more specifically the RAPA brand I usually buy. I was re-reading/proofing/editing my post for the ump-teenth time (do all you bloggers do that too???) and realized that the name RAPA came from the first initials of the family member's company - see up there on the wrapper. DUUHHH!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything I ever wanted to know about Scrapple but was afraid to ask!

What a fun post! Now I know what to use my Amazon gift certificate for!! : )

marie said...

Hi Carla - that anonymous is me! I'm not sure how I did that! I guess I was overwhelmed with thoughts of Scrapple!

Darlene said...

Hmmmmm I've never even heard of that!

Ticking and Toile said...

Hi Carla!

You are so funny! I just got your email! I'll put together some pictures for you to show your hubby. I agree...you gotta get some of that painted!!! :o)

thanks so much for your sweet comments!!

Shellagh

Ticking and Toile said...

oh I forgot to even mention your post!! (I'm a little out of it this morning!) I have n e v e r heard of scrapple! I've heard of snapple, & scrabble but never scrapple!

It sounds..um....interesting....
:0) No, seriously I'm sure it probably tastes good.....:-}

Talk soon

Shellagh

Hopemore Studio said...

Wow! Scrapple, now thats a food I haven't heard of since my childhood in NJ. In Kentucky we have Goetta, I believe it is similar but it also includes pin oats. It is yummy, in small quantities.

Angie

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

SJerZGirl said...

When I lived in Utah, my parents used to send mail order cases of canned scrapple to me. I gave one to my mailman because he wanted to know what the heck it was! I do love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails